Partner 1: Veterinary and Agrochemical Research centre (VAR)
Department of Virology, Section: Modelisation of Epizootic Diseases, from "Centrum voor Onderzoek in Diergeneeskunde en Agrochemie" (VAR), Groeselenberg 99, B-1180 Brussels, Belgium. The centre is a research institute of the Federal Ministry of Public Health. Among the main roles is the development and improvement of tests able to detect infectious diseases of animals in particular, Avian Influenza (AI), African Swine fever (ASF), Blue tongue (BT), Classical Swine fever (CSF) and Food and Mouth Disease (FMD) . The centre also assists Public Veterinary Services in the protection of livestock. VAR staff is engaged in the entire spectrum of specialist diagnosis and research of livestock disease and animal health surveillance. About 220 personnel are employed in the Laboratory in Ukkel and the isolation facilities in Machelen.
As Belgian reference laboratory for classical swine fever the section of modelisation of epizootic diseases is involved in both diagnosis and research. Other research and diagnostic topics involve encephalomyocarditis virus (EMCV) and African swine fever virus. The section has recently coordinated and/or been involved in several Belgian and European research projects:
- Epidemiology and control of classical swine fever (CSF) in wild boar and potential use of a newly developed live marker vaccine (FP6 project (Grant Nr.: STREP project: SSP1-501599) for which VAR serves as co-ordinator
- Epidemiology, diagnosis and control of classical swine fever and possible applications of a marker vaccine (Grant of the Research Foundation of the Belgian Ministry of Agriculture).
- Development of powerful and selective inhibitors of pestivirus replication (Grant: DG4)
- Classical Swine fever Virus: Model of treatment for new powerful inhibitors and identification of molecular virulence markers (Grant DWTI)
- Network of Excellence for Epizootic Disease Diagnosis and Control (EPIZONE), Work package "Antivirals" (Grant Nr.: NOE project: 16236)
- Evaluating and controlling the risk of African swine fever in the European Community (ASFRISK)
Role and contribution in the project
VAR will function as coordinator of this project and is responsible for the communication with the EU commission. Research activities will mainly focus on work package 1, 11 and 15 in addition to tasks in work packages 3, 10 and 14.
Principal scientific and technical personnel
Koenen Frank; DVM, Co-ordinator of this FP7 project; Project leader at the VAR. Operational Director of "Interactions and surveillance"
Haegeman Andy, phD, Molecular biologist
Tignon Maylene, ph.D, Bio-engineer
Vrancken Robert, junior scientist
De Clippeleir Frans, Engineer responsible for the animal facilities
Tuerlinckx Eefje, Head of the unit Finance
|Official address:||Contact person for the project:|
|Dr. Pierre Kerkhofs, Director of the Institute||Koenen Frank , DVM|
|Groeselenberg 99||Groeselenberg 99|
|1180 Brussel , Belgium||1180 Brussel , Belgium|
|Tel: +32(0)2 379 06 00||Tel: 32(0)2 379 04 97|
|Fax: +32(0)2 379 04 01||Fax: +32(0)2 379 04 01|
|E-mail : email@example.com||E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org|